Garlicky Kale with Beans

Garlicky Kale with Beans

The Easiest of Recipes

Kale still life

“Charles placed seven eggs on top of the warming oven and built his fire carefully of small pieces of kindling until it burned fiercely. He put the skillet down next to the flame. His sullenness left him as he fried the bacon.”

This is barely a recipe. It started, as many things do, with items from the pantry. There was the push to get dinner done and fresh kale that needed to be used. The first time I stirred together just garlic, kale and beans. It needed more and the red pepper flakes were added along with the garlic. Later lemon zest and a sprinkle of cheese made this into a recipe. It has become a favorite. Fresh, quick, full of healthy ingredients, an easy recipe like this deserves to be shared.

Kale is bossy, stern and stiff and not about to bend to anyone’s will. With these types, its best to be assertive. Garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and a strong cheese like Parmesan are happy to transform the kale into a memorable recipe. Slide an egg on top and call it dinner or a very good lunch. We very much enjoy the Garlicky Kale and Beans with grilled chicken or pork chops. Even our weekly turkey patty benefits from this side dish.

Kale Garlic Chili

I’m fussy about how kale is prepared. I don’t like huge crunchy leaves that require a knife to wrestle into bite size pieces and I will refuse a pile of soggy wilted greens. I was shopping at a local upscale grocery store and it was getting close to lunch time. I saw a display of Mediterranean Kale Salad. It looked promising until I saw huge curly kale leaves, still crisp, shoved down inside clear plastic cups. I wasn’t sure how it could be eaten out of the cup with a plastic fork. It looked like a serving of punishment for lunch. A terrible salad, with a price that matched.

Kale

The combination of Lacinato kale, cannelloni beans and garlic has roots in Tuscany. Think minestrone and ribollita or this classic recipe. The volume of flavor can be moderated by reducing the garlic and red pepper flakes. With very strong insistence, the cheese can be omitted. The recipe is flexible enough to understand the desire of personal preference. Just remember the intense personality of kale needs its assertive friends. Lacinato or Dinosaur kale is my favorite but any variety can be used. Don’t cook the kale for too long, it will become limp and lose its bold character. When the beans are added to the skillet, the kale will have time to soften just a bit more. Have all the ingredients ready, this recipe goes together quickly!

Ingredients
1 bunch lacinato or dinosaur kale
2T olive oil
3 large cloves of garlic, fined minced
1/4t red pepper flakes
1 can/15 oz cannelloni or garbanzo beans, drained
1 lemon, zested
1T grated Parmesan cheese or Romano or Feta
  1. Throughly rinse the kale and pat dry. Just dry enough that only a few drops of water fall unto the cutting surface. Remove the center ribs from the large leaves. Stack the leaves in bundles and cut into strips, 1/2” wide.
  2. In a large skillet or other wide bottomed pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat until it shimmers. Add the minced garlic and the red pepper flakes. Stir for a minute or two until the aroma of the garlic and pepper is released. Do not let the garlic overcook and become brown. Add the kale to the pan and let it cook and sizzle for a minute. Then stir and fold all the ingredients together. Keep stirring until the garlic and red pepper flakes are intermingled with the kale. The kale will begin to wilt. Make sure all the kale is coated with the garlicky olive oil. Do not overcook the kale. As soon as all the kale is shiny with olive oil add the beans and lemon zest to the pan. Fold the beans and lemon zest into the kale. Cook only until the beans are heated. Serve with a sprinkle of assertively flavored cheese. That’s it, done!

Garlicky Kale with Beans

This entry was posted in Cooking, Vegetables, Vegetarian Main Dishes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Garlicky Kale with Beans

Kale salad is a staple at my house, and this twist — warm salad! — is genius. Can’t wait to make it. Another great post, Deb!

2. Garlic is a must with kale and I love your addition of cannelloni beans. What a flavorful side!

3. Lynda says:

I am a huge fan of bossy kale. And this recipe is right up my alley.

4. Gerlinde says:

I’ve been looking for a recipe like this Deb , I will make it soon. I love the addition of the beans. Another creative and artistic post.

5. Cathy says:

Kale is not so popular here and I can’t buy it, but I do like chard or spinach in spring. Sounds like a winning combination Deb!

6. Lovely recipe, Deb! This dish is quick to prepare yet delicious and quite nutritious.

7. You are so right, Debs. Kale is very bossy! And like you I am picky about how I eat this bossy veg – it has to be sliced into ribbons and massaged a bit, wilted a little or fried a bit in its rinsing water and a touch of oil. Beans, heat, garlic and kale are matches made in veggie heaven. 🙂

8. Deb, I must become better friends with kale. Truth told, it’s not a vegetable I’m readily drawn to. Perhaps because I was forced to eat it when I was little, likely prepared in very boring and uninteresting ways. Your recipe sounds like the perfect way to get re-acquainted with kale.

Thank you speaking the kale truth Mary! I don’t always enjoy kale either. I’m fussy about it’s preparation which is why you just might enjoy this recipe!

9. A serving of “punishment” for lunch – somebody was feisty when she wrote this post. That’s my kind of description – I love it. I also adore nearly non-recipe recipes. Love your twist of adding the beans. I could easily see using leftover hearty grains as well, esp finishing it with an egg. YUM! Thanks for sharing and inspiring – loved seeing Carol’s version of it on Facebook!

10. “the intense personality of kale needs its assertive friends” — I love this quote! Thanks for sharing this simple dish, Deb.

11. valentina says:

Dinosaur kale is my favorite and this is such a lovely blend of flavors. Love how you cut it — I too don’t like eating kale when it feels like a chore. 😉

12. Jacquee says:

A perfectly delicious blend, this salad. I am a big fan of kale, especially in smoothies or with loads of garlic. I have not found it to be ‘bossy’, however. 🙂

13. Pingback: Friday Wallflavourites: Edition 24 | Wallflour Girl

14. mjskitchen says:

Dino kale is my favorite so I’m loving this dish! I have some of this kale growing in my garden right now so I can’t wait for it to be big enough to make this. Garlic and kale – what a great combo!

15. What a healthy salad – packed with fiber and nutrition!

16. Simple ingredients make such wonderful dishes. This is perfect, healthy fare Deb! It’s extremely hard to find kale here, but this should work well with chard or sorrel. I love your salad description. I feel the same about store bought granola!

17. What a great mix of flavors! White beans with the kale sounds great, and I’d to make a meal of this with an egg on top.

18. Patty says:

Sorry my comment is a little late ;( but, I love this kind of kale and it grows really well in my veggie garden! Thanks for your recipe and I will be eating this with egg on top as I love that too 😉